top of page

Three steam locomotives at Fawley for the NTT weekend

Aerial view 2 edited.jpg
Sir Vincent DB 2 edited.jpg

We were delighted to have three visiting locomotives in steam over the NTT Festival weekend in May.  The three locomotives, Jack Dibnah's 'Witch', David Buck's  'Sir Vincent' and the Great Western Society's 'King George' double-headed passenger trains with our own Class 03 diesel and delighted visitors and volunteers alike. 

Sadly, all the visiting locomotives returned to their home bases the following week, but it was fun while it lasted.

We are now actively seeking one or more steam locomotives to stand in for our own No.31 for later events during the season while the boiler overhaul continues at Didcot.

Aerial view 1 edited.jpg

No 31 - Progress Report; March 2024

No 31 at Didcot 2 NP.jpg

Following its arrival at the Didcot Railway Centre in January, No 31 had its saddle tank removed outside before the engine and tank were moved indoors.  The tank, stripped of its nameplates and other fittings, has been placed on timber blocks to await further work.  The boiler has been lifted and placed elsewhere in the workshop for the replacement of the boiler tubes to commence.  

No 31 at Didcot 3 NP.jpg
No 31 at Didcot 1 NP.jpg
No 31 at Didcot 4 NP.jpg

Our Locomotives

Hudswell Clarke & Co 0-6-0ST 'No 31'

No 31 2023.jpg

No 31 is the resident steam locomotive at Fawley.  Ordered by the Ministry of Fuel and Power, it was built in 1913 and delivered new to Robert McAlpine & Sons, Cuffley. It was painted in Caledonian Blue, a colour that it retained throughout its working life.

 

It worked on a number of building contracts including Wembley Stadium (1923-1924), RAF Boscombe Down (1944) and Llanwern Steelworks (1960-1961). The locomotive was rebuilt by Hudswell Clark & Co in 1938.

 

No 31 went into storage at McAlpine’s yard at Hayes in 1961 and remained there until it was identified for scrapping in1965. At this point, Sir William decided to give No 31 a new life in retirement and purchased the locomotive. No 31 arrived at Fawley in September 1965 and was subsequently repainted in GWR Brunswick green livery.  Above the smokebox door is carried loco shed plate 81M – a code unique to Fawley.

No 31 has now reached the end of her boiler certificate and will be out of action for 18 months while an overhaul is carried out. Another steam locomotive with similar power and braking characteristics is currently being sought to replace No 31 for the 2024 season

Technical Data

Weight     26 Tons

Inside cylinders:   15" diameter, 20" stroke.

Wheels:    3' 7".

Tractive Effort (85%):      14,232 lbs.

Ex-BR 0-6-0 Class 03 Diesel D2120

D2120 2023.jpg

A total of 230 Class 03 diesel shunter locomotives of were constructed by BR at Swindon and Doncaster, and brought into service between 1957 and 1962.

 

Our example, D2120, was built at Swindon and entered service in October 1959. It was first allocated to Danygraig Depot and spent its entire career in the Swansea area of South Wales.

 

In March 1972 whilst on overhaul, D2120 was converted to Burry Port & Gwendraeth Valley (BPGV) Railway loading gauge, one of 11 Class 03’s so converted over the years. The BPGV line had a severe height restriction and this conversion involved reducing the cab height by 4½ inches.

 

During the mid 1970’s BR adopted its TOPS computer numbering system and D2120 was renumbered 03120 in March 1974. As the 03 Class was being reduced in number, 03120 was retained as a standby, allocated to Landore Depot. It was finally withdrawn by BR in February 1986 and released for sale.

 

Purchased by Sir William McAlpine, 03120 arriving at Fawley in December 1986, wearing the standard fleet livery of BR rail blue with ‘wasp’ yellow and black painted warning ends. Since its arrival it has been repainted into early BR Green as D2120; the wasp stripes at each end of the locomotive were restored in 2019.  D2120 wears loco shed plate 87C (Danycraig).

 

Technical Data

British Railways Class 03

Transmission   Diesel Mechanical

Weight      31.3 tons

Tractive Effort  15,3001bs

Max. Speed     28½ mph

F C Hibberd & Co. Planet 4w DM No 3 'ERNIE'

ERNIE for website edited.jpg

This Planet 4-wheel diesel mechanical shunting locomotive was built by F C Hibberd & Co in 1959 and delivered the same month to Vickers-Armstrong Ltd. at Newcastle-upon-Tyne, being numbered No 3.

 

In November 1962, the locomotive was sold to Thomas Hill & Co. Kilnhurst where it remained for 7 years before being sold to the Royal Ordnance Factory, Bishopton in February 1969. In 1988, 3894 was rebuilt by Andrew Barclay at their Caledonia Works, Kilmarnock and returned to Bishopton as a spare locomotive.  In 1995, the Royal Ordnance Factory depot was closed and the locomotive was sold for scrap.

 

3894 was purchased by The South Yorkshire Railway Preservation Society and was found to be in remarkably good condition so was offered for sale. The locomotive was purchased by the Fawley Museum Society in September 1997 and arrived at Fawley three months later. In spring 2003, No 3894 received the name ERNIE in memory of Ernie Dove, an FMS volunteer for many years.

F C Hibberd & Co. Planet 4w DM

JUDY for website edited.jpg

This small 4-wheel diesel mechanical shunting locomotive was built by F C Hibberd & Co at their works in Park Royal The locomotive was built in 1956 and delivered new to the Tyne Tees Shipping Company at Middlesborough.

 

When working at Middlesbrough, 3817 carried the name, TYNE TEES WHARF No1.

 

The locomotive was sold to Thomas Hill in January 1970 and moved to Kilnhurst Works, Rotherham. Sold to Courtaulds in October 1973, 3817 then moved to their Great Coates Works, Grimsby where it is believed to have stayed for the next 15 years.

 

The locomotive was purchased for preservation in 1988 and moved to the South Yorkshire Railway Preservation Society at Meadowhall, Sheffield in September of that year. 3817 was purchased by Sir William McAlpine in March 2002 and moved to Peak Rail Ltd, Matlock before arriving at Fawley the following month.

It is currently undergoing restoration and repainting by Museum volunteers.

Visiting Locomotives

Hudswell Clarke & Co 0-6-0ST 'No 88'

We were delighted to be visited by Stephen Middleton's beautifully restored Hudswell Clark 0-6-0ST No 88 for our Members' Barbeque and for the presentation of the National Transport Trust awards by HRH the Princess Royal.  Stephen was a recipient of one of the Sir William McAlpine Awards at this year's ceremony. Enjoy the sight and sound of No 88 running along the Valley Line.

31 and 88.jpg

No 88 poses with big sister No 31 outside the Museum at the end of a busy day

GWR No 1340 'Trojan'

Trojan outside shed.jpg

Avonside 0-4-0ST 1340 'Trojan' built in 1897 and normally resident at Didcot Railway Centre.

We had the opportunity for Trojan to make a flying visit to Fawley on her way to the Forest of Dean Railway. Here she is outside the Locomotive Shed, and making her way along the Valley Line. 

bottom of page